Friday, February 8, 2008

Risotto

I meant to blog about this in a more timely fashion, but better late than never. In the continuing saga of Cooking In One Vessel on an Electric Stove Whilst Dodging Undergrad Boys, I made lemon-arugula risotto the other night, and it was wonderful.

I adapted it from the back of the Sainsbury's arborio rice box, and was glad I didn't take that recipe as gospel, because if I had, it would have been altogether too lemony.

First, I sauteed an onion, several cloves of coarsely chopped garlic, and the zest of one lemon in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Then I did the usual risotto thing with vegetable stock, and at the end added the juice of the lemon and about 100g (several generous handfuls) of arugula, or rocket, as they call it here.

Good eatin'. Sarah, my housemate and the other NYU gender studies grad, made the salad and got the wine.



The next night, I got these very silly bedroom slippers at TK Maxx (another difference--it's TK, not TJ, here). Needless to say, the selection was limited, but these were so bad they're good. And of course I know how to dress them up!

7 comments:

Rob said...

Mmm. That risotto sounds as good as those slippers are frightening. I love arugula.

T said...

Yes, me too! Arugula and watercress contend for top cooked-or-uncooked spot in my pantheon...maybe even top greens spot....

Lauren said...

It's TK Maxx in Ireland too, isn't it? Is it sad that I've actually spent time wondering which one came first, and what the discussion between the marketing people was like when they decided that for some reason "TJ" just wouldn't work in Ireland? Sigh.

Also, I think "rocket" is much cooler than "arugula". Another good use for that vegetable: pesto! (Puree w/ walnuts, parm, garlic, etc.)

T said...

Oh, we had a big discussion here about why TK...including some hilarity about initials that wouldn't work. TB, for instance....

Yes, I think "rocket" is cool, too. Mmmm, pesto! I don't have any way to do that here, alas, so that'll have to wait until April.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm. Risotto. I had risotto too last night - roasted pepper and black olive.

Btw, Paolo would have a fit if he saw that salad on the same plate as the risotto. We've literally had a fight about that. I like salad on my plate too and won't tell.

T said...

Well, before Paolo gets his knickers in a wad (without knowing it), I actually put the salad on the plate for the benefit of the photo! :-) ...I don't actually have strong opinions either way, but the salad was so pretty....

The Sugar Plum Mom said...

the hospital recommended i bring slippers for the 2-3 days i will be in hospital after Max's exit process is complete. i don't own slippers. but now i feel strangely inspired to try to find some as horrible as yours.

and i love how easy it is to find watercress over there. and yet virtually impossible to find here. rocket/arugula is, however, easy to find and super easy to grow. i like to grow it in the big pots on my back patio and then we can cut it, rinse it, and eat it immediately. yum!