Friday, February 16, 2007

Baching it

This weekend, I'll be on my own--even the cat, alas, will be gone, despite an eleventh hour call to suss out the possibility that we want the cat more than her owner does. No answer to that, so I suppose in an hour Giblet will be on her way to a very long car trip to one of the states in the middle. Alas.

But in the meantime, I'll be here--reading & writing as usual, but also a little more free in my cooking endeavors, which means poultry is in! Not sure what I'll make tonight--any suggestions?

I also have a big music shindig to look forward to tomorrow night--the annual CCE Hall of Fame presentation and party. The event itself can run on and on (especially since my set dancing skills aren't up to enjoying the ceili that happens at the event)--one of these soda bread, tea, and beer functions (no complaints here)--but as with many trad events, the real fun is the party afterward. (Which is no news to many of you!) Anyway, tonight they're honoring Dermot Grogan, a box player who died of cancer a few years ago. A wonderful musician, great composer of tunes, and fun guy all around--I met him at the Catskills a couple of years before I moved up to NYC and had some nice sessions, but by the time I got here he wasn't able for much playing.

Also being honored are the late Jim Coogan, who died in December (or was it late November) of this year just past, and the very-much-living Joanie Madden. As some of you know (and witnessed!), I didn't have any time at all for Jim when I first met him, but as I grew up and mellowed out I came to really appreciate his sense of humor and nice-guy-ness.

And it's about time for me to get back into the trad world. I haven't even had the fiddle out in about a month--sad but true. I guess the question may be, "What are you, and what have you done with T????"

No comments: